Summer on a plate
Spicy and Southern
Holstein beef sirloin steak with shallot confit, green asparagus, and pont neuf chips, topped with basil mayonnaise and carrot cream.
• 250 g Holstein sirloin steak per person (4 cm thick) • 8 large potatoes • 2 large red beetroots • 12 green asparagus spears • 1 bunch baby carrots • 4 shallots • 1 garlic bulb • 100 g fresh mayonnaise • 1 rosemary sprig • 2 basil sprigs • 100 g butter • 1 kg goose fat • sambal manis (chilli paste) • olive oil • Chardonnay vinegar • 100 g coarse sea salt • salt and pepper • Garnish: red sorrel
1. Season the sirloin steak with salt and pepper, heat the olive oil, and fry the steak on both sides on a medium heat for four minutes. Pour the coarse sea salt into an oven-proof dish, place the beetroots on the salt, and bake for 70 minutes in a preheated oven at 220 °C. Peel the beetroots and cut into matchsticks. Season with salt and pepper and add olive oil and Chardonnay vinegar to taste.
2. Remove the woody ends of the asparagus and cut the spears in half or in thirds. Boil the asparagus pieces in salted water until tender and season with salt, pepper, olive oil, and Chardonnay vinegar to taste. Serve the beetroots and asparagus at room temperature.
3. Melt the goose fat on a medium heat and add the garlic bulb and the rosemary to the pan. Cook the unpeeled shallots in the goose fat and peel as soon as they soften.
4. Cut the potatoes into Pont Neuf chips (thick-cut chips approximately 8x8x5 cm) and fry them in the goose fat along with the shallots until they turn golden brown (approximately 16 minutes).
5. Add the basil leaves and the mayonnaise to a food processor and pulse until smooth.
6. Peel the carrots and cook them in lightly salted water until tender. Blend the carrots and the butter and season with sambal manis and salt.
Arranging and serving
Cut the shallots in half, season with coarse sea salt, and place in a pre-heated oven along with the meat. Cook at 190 °C for eight minutes. Cut the meat and season with coarse salt. Arrange the sliced sirloin, the lukewarm beetroots and asparagus, the confit shallots, and the Pont Neuf chips on a serving platter. Drizzle the basil mayonnaise on the chips and garnish with small basil leaves. Finish with the carrot cream and the red sorrel.
In the mood for a spicy Berber tagine? Looking for must-see places to visit during your trip to Apulia? Scapa Magazine will introduce you to a world of inspiring personalities, styling tips, and beauty.